Menu

Abeka Science vs REAL Science in Odyssey

Okay, we are using MFW ECC for school this year, but I do not like the science for my 3rd grader. My 7th grader is doing Apologia General Science. We love that. My 3rd grader is much more concrete minded and I feel like the Properties of Ecosystems is not set up as a concrete, traditional approach. He would thrive with a book where you read, do a more traditional worksheet.

I had originally thought of ABEKA science and health for 3rd grade. But, then I found REAL Science and I love the looks of it.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences to Share?

TIA!

Okay, we are using MFW ECC for school this year, but I do not like the science for my 3rd grader. My 7th grader is doing Apologia General Science. We love that. My 3rd grader is much more concrete minded and I feel like the Properties of Ecosystems is not set up as a concrete, traditional approach. He would thrive with a book where you read, do a more traditional worksheet.

I had originally thought of ABEKA science and health for 3rd grade. But, then I found REAL Science and I love the looks of it.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences to Share?

TIA!

Unless they have changed, Abeka does not have much hands on. Read and memorize (for tests)is all I remember from when we tried it. You covered a lot of topics briefly and finished the book not really retaining anything.

RSO will get your hands involved and if you use the reading list in the back you will have a very fun curriculum. The books mentioned are suggestions but getting library books along the same topic is all you need. The lab work is fast and fun with high impact and will have you thinking.

Did you look at Apologia for elementary? After rereading your post I noticed you said he would thrive with reading and doing traditional worksheets. Even though Apologia does not have "traditional"worksheets, using one of the purchased notebooks will give a review and the written work he likes. There is a free notebook but it is not as structured as the bought one.