Menu

the Stock Market Game

Has anyone participated in The Stock Market Game?

http://www.smgww.org/

I am planning an economics course for my kids. My plan was to do something similar to this on my own, but I love it when the work is done for me. It looks as if I would have to take a short course online before participating. Anyone have any experience with it?

My kids participated with a small group last year. I think they got a lot out of it, but they were only in it for about 2 months. There is no cost to participate in our state, and I don't think DH ever actually did the short course online. They kind of jumped in mid-year. Did you have any specific questions?

Has anyone participated in The Stock Market Game?

http://www.smgww.org/

I am planning an economics course for my kids. My plan was to do something similar to this on my own, but I love it when the work is done for me. It looks as if I would have to take a short course online before participating. Anyone have any experience with it?

My question was about the course. In my state it is $16 to participate, and I was wondering if I had to get a group together or just play with my kids. I am not looking to be real competitive. I wonder if the rules differ by state? I am just looking for experiences, good or bad.

My question was about the course. In my state it is $16 to participate, and I was wondering if I had to get a group together or just play with my kids. I am not looking to be real competitive. I wonder if the rules differ by state? I am just looking for experiences, good or bad.

I'm not sure I can help you there, because I think the rules are different in different states. Generally I'd say it was a positive experience, and I think my dc want to do it again in the fall. We pretty much ignored the competitive aspect and focused on trying to improve our portfolio. It does give you a very short-sighted view of the market. If you pick stocks that seem likely to perform well long-term, a short-term dip can really skew things.