Menu

National Science Bowl?

Has anyone done this before?

My dd will be a 6th grader this fall and I'm considering trying to get a team together for her to be on. So that would be a team with her and 3 other kids.

Here's the National website

http://science.energy.gov/nsb/

I've looked at some of the sample questions and there is a lot she doesn't know. She would have to study hard and there is no way she'd learn all of that before our regional competition in January.

I don't want to set her up to fail, yet at the same time, it would be a good goal for her to work toward. If she and 3 teammates started as a team of 6th graders this year, they'd never win it, this year. But they would gain experience. If they enjoyed the experiences, they'd study hard, while hopefully having fun, and perhaps they'd have a chance by the time they were 8th graders with 2 years experience under their belts.

But considering the difficulty of some of the questions, how can I direct them, teach them, etc, well? I would definitely want the kids to get something fun out of, otherwise, what would be the point? Would I be able to demonstrate a concept each week, or every other week, that would teach them something useful for the competition? I am not a mathy/ science-type person and if they are not successful, I want them to at least learn and have fun. If I don't plan well that won't happen :001_unsure:

Soany thoughts or experiences?

So no one has done National Science Bowl?

I've been trying to figure out how to help them study, if I manage to get a team together. I think the easiest and funnest way for all involved is to maybe have them do a continuous lap book. We can add different science subjects each time, and they can have their books to study as they prepare. And once we get some of their books made up, we can practice how to answer rapid-fire questions, too.

Does this sound crazy?

That sounds like a fun way to do study. Have you found any guidelines for what materials to cover, aside from the sample questions?

Do you know if there is a competition in your area? All the middle school teams that I could locate seem to be in the midwest.

So no one has done National Science Bowl?

I've been trying to figure out how to help them study, if I manage to get a team together. I think the easiest and funnest way for all involved is to maybe have them do a continuous lap book. We can add different science subjects each time, and they can have their books to study as they prepare. And once we get some of their books made up, we can practice how to answer rapid-fire questions, too.

Does this sound crazy?

Our regional Science Bowl is in Portland and it covers Washington and Oregon. So it's not too far from us.

For the subjects to study, it's physical science, earth and space science, life science, energy, mathmatics, and general science.

I'm hoping that, if we do it, it will be fun for the kids. It sounds like fun and a great reason to get together with other homeschool friends.