Menu

Recommend a Test for dd please?

I want to get dd academically tested with something like a CAT test, but I'm unsure as to what test will work best for us and give me what I want to know.

I need a test that gives a rough grade level in subjects - English, Science, Math, Social Studies, etc, Identifies potential weak areas or missed areas, tests on materials above grade level if grade level shows a complete mastery, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Can anyone recommend a test that does those things or most of those? I'm primarily using it to decide weather or not to accelerate dd in science and math or not.

I'd think an individualized achievement test might be most useful to you - something like the Woodcock Johnson... but I've never used it.

I gave my son the CAT on grade level in 1st grade and in 2nd grade gave him the 3rd grade CAT. It gave some information & showed some weaknesses, but I saw that more from looking over the test after giving it to him.

In 3rd grade I gave him ITBS on level along with the CogAT. I like the ITBS report more than the CAT. Again, I could see where some weaknesses were by looking over his answers.

I used Bayside for the CAT (they have TerraNova now) and Triangle for ITBS.

I doubt that a standardized test will give you what you're looking for though. Individualized achievement tests do cost more, but that's more likely to answer your questions. You can also call a local university and see if the psychology department does testing. If you get a grad student to do testing, it can be cheaper. Hoagie's gifted website will have more information on the specifics of different individualized tests.

Good luck.