Menu

A reading program for a third grader

My son is 8, soon to be 9 in the fall. I am planning his third grade, and I'm wondering what reading program, if any should I use? He does read well, I would say he is on grade level, if not above... have never had him tested. We are not big on workbooks. I'm not sure what I should be doing for reading though? Plan on using HOD loosely as a guide but I did not want to use drawn into the heart of reading program.Any help would be great, I hope I have expressed myself clearly enough :001_smile:.

PS. We are working on going 100% Charlotte Mason, that is the school of thought that best lines up with our family.

My third grader is also a very comfortable and eager reader and I haven't had him in any program. We go to the library once a week or so -- he picks a few books and I pick a few. And when we run into excerpts from books in WWE that excite him, he enjoys getting the whole book to read. That has introduced him to many "classics." So, that's a long way of saying... no program.