Menu

Some questions about LiPS...

I just joined here and I am so grateful for all the help I've gotten just reading through posts! I have a student who was going to do the Barton System but did not pass the screening. Susan Barton said he needs to do a portion of the LiPS program first by a trained professional. Finances and availability do not allow that. From what I've read on here it sounds like it is possible to learn the program on my own and teach it to him??? Is it okay to get an older manual or would it be better to get the 4th addition with the dvds that come with it? From what I've read, it sounds like I should get the vowel and consonant dvds as well??? Is anyone familiar with the LiPS stick? Will that give me all the accessories that I need? Thanks!

I used an older manual and dvds from the program a couple years ago before the LiPStick was available.

I've written here many times in the past that it's possible to do LiPS at home, but want to emphasize that not everyone has the skills to do this. Make sure your own phonemic awareness is strong and that you form the sounds correctly. Study the manual and learn this first before you try to teach it to your child!

Before I resorted to doing this at home, my ds had seen two different speech therapists who told me he didn't qualify for speech therapy. One had noted he had phonemic problems and we followed her advice, yet he still couldn't pass the Barton screen the next year. I turned to doing LiPS at home because I saw no other alternative at the time.

Even if you can't afford or find a speech therapist to do LiPS program, I'd suggest you still find a speech therapist to do an initial evaluation.

Thank you, Merry Gardens, for your response! I have found your posts to be very helpful. I am a volunteer tutor (just beginning) for a small private christian school and so the student is not my child. Previously, the school (because of lack of funds) did not offer any help for learning disabilities. So I feel like I have soooo much to learn and am so limited in what I can offer but feel like it's better than nothing. The school has a very tight budget and so I am trying to do as much as I can and learn as much as I can on as little as possible because it all needs to be approved by the school board.

I have a son that is very gifted but has a learning disability. We were able to do educational therapy outside of school with him so I do have a small amount of experience. His therapist was a very dear lady who taught me a lot and she encouraged me to do more for others.

My student struggles with auditory memory and that's why he didn't pass the student screening. Sequence is very difficult for him. You recommended having an evaluation done by a speech therapist. I'd love to hear more about that? What is the reasoning behind that suggestion? Also, there are a number of other students who have speech problems...don't pronounce their "R"s, etc. Are there things in this program that the teachers could incorporate into their classrooms?

Thank you!

Oh! I just assumed you were a homeschooler asking about your own child. Well, God bless you for being a volunteer tutor! That's wonderful!

I just assumed all kinds of things. When you asked about LiPS, I also assumed it was for phonemic awareness problems.

I had numerous reason for recommending the speech evaluation. For one thing, it helps with the paper trail should a diagnosis of dyslexia be needed at some point in the future. For another, I thought it best to have a "real life expert" on language look at the situation in real life. Since this is the internet, I didn't know much at all about your child or you. Since a slp has encouraged you to do more with other children, it's likely that you'd be able to learn LiPS and do fine with it,:) (but sometimes there are challenges that prevent people from just picking up the manual and learning how to do the program.) Susan Barton recommends using a professional for a reason--because not everyone is cut out to do this and the LiPS program doesn't come with all the training and scripting that her program has.

Teachers can certainly incorporate pieces of LiPS into the classroom. Where teaching ends and therapy begins is sometimes blurry. It's not uncommon for children with reading problems to also have speech problems or a history of speech problems. You asked about R's; they are some of the later sounds to develop. There's some good materials I've found on working with r's, but then that's moving into speech therapy rather than reading remediation. LiPs can do both, but I started it with the goal of helping my ds to read but found it also helped with his speech.

Thanks for your advice, Merry Garden! It sounds like from what you said about the program being helpful for speech issues that the LiPS stick may be the way to go. I would like to work on learning the LiPS program over the summer and hopefullly be ready to teach it to him in the fall. I am using the Barton System with another student and it is extremely user friendly. It sounds like this will take a lot more effort on my part. With the way God has made me, I think I will be able to. If I can't, we haven't lost a lot since the alternative is no intervention. :001_smile: