Menu

Reading Weapons of Mass Instruction...now what?

lindsrae

Reading John Taylor Gatto's Weapons of Mass Instruction this week. Some of it is just over the top, and he keep saying the same things over and over (was it a series of articles that he put together into a book?), but beyond that, I agree with his basic premise: public education steals productivity and creativity from our children (and by extension, our nation). I was a public high school English teacher for 5 years before I stayed home with my kiddos. I saw, first hand, how school appears to make kids more dependent and immature while saying it does the opposite.

So I am wondering how to make our homeschooling experience more about developing the personhood of my daughters and less about finishing the book. Thoughts?

I just started reading it and it made me re-realize that I need to follow the kids interests. What do they like? What do they want to learn about? I will give them the tools needed (that I can provide) to facilitate their interests. Like books, or sets, or pets or whatever else I can to feed their interests. Right now it's electronics for my oldest and animals for my middle. These things will be extras that fill their afternoons when what I want them to learn is finished for the day.

Hope that helps!

Stephanie