Menu

Saxon math question

Guest jgarvin6

Guest jgarvin6

After reading about the robinson curriculum and doing a lot of reasearch about math curriculum I recently ordered the saxon math homeschool 5/4. Can anyone tell me how the homeschool edition is different than the regular edition?

I have heard that is is so much work but the lessons look really short to me. The way it is implimented in the robinson curriculum I am not sure if they are suggesting doing just one lesson or are they saying work on math for 2 hours and ignore lesson starting and stopping points.

Also for those who use saxon math is there a place for me to download pdf's of recording forms A-E? I have them in the tests and worksheets book but printing them straight from a file is more error proof than having to tear them out and copy them,also I can do it at home instead of having to go to an office max everytime I need copies.

I'm not familiar with the homeschool editions --- we use the regular textbooks and DIVE disks. It's quite confusing to me when I hear people talk about "how long" Saxon takes! On the 5/4 level, an average daily lesson takes about 45 minutes. I'm sorry, but if that's considered too long for a math lesson thay may be why we have the education problems we do today!

DD (11) is pretty much able to do the entire lesson on her own. She watches the DIVE lesson first, then reads her lesson in the text and works the problems. There are Fact Practice Sheets that can be used at your discretion. We do one every other day along with the daily lesson and with each test.

Hope that helps!

Good luck with your schooling :)

We haven't officially started Saxon yet, but will be soon, so here is what I know! The homeschool edition is different because the solution manual shows the problem worked out, instead of just giving the answer, making it more homeschool friendly. As far as the worksheets, I don't know if there is a place to download them, but I guess maybe you could type them out and print them that way? I am copying the worksheets, laminating them, and then using dry erase markers so that I don't have to go through so much paper and ink:) I don't see them taking that long either. My son has done a few lessons, and most of them are review for him, but he can easily do 2 lessons in about 30 minutes. It probably will take longer once we get into new things.