Menu

Linking literature to history cycles...

LNC

I have enjoyed reading threads that discuss this topic, especially the one on the high school board. I was wondering if some of you were similar to me. I disliked fantasy reading as a child. I have forced my daughter to read some fantasy for literature, but she would never choose to on her own. i.e. Alice and Wonderland. I loved Messner bios incl. Narcissa Whitman and Cornelia Meigs bio of Louisa May Alcott. I loved lots of other historical fiction and bios. I also enjoyed realistic fiction like Anne of Green Gables and Little Women - books that easily fit into our history cycles.

Anyway, I have looked through the 1000 Good books list to see classic books that have slipped through the cracks like Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, Phantom Tollbooth and The Cricket in Times Square. I really didn't like these books as a child. I distinctly remember quitting these and other similar books.

So, this summer I will check some of these titles out and leave out in our free read books baskets. We'll see what they like! They have asked to read Harry Potter, and I want to read the series this summer also. I also have never read Tolkein so I am planning on Hobbit next year and LLfLotR for the following year.

Just wanted to chat about this topic more here. I'm not sure if I was following WTM recs for linking lit to history or just following my own tastes. Thanks!