Menu

Zaner-bloser for cursive - 2c or 3?

timetoteach

Well, I can tell you what I did, and you can decide if it is helpful or not. :D

With dd8, I used 2c in 2nd grade to gently introduce cursive. It went great, and she had no problem going into the 3rd grade book. She is almost finished with it, and will be using the 4th grade book in a few weeks.

My plans are to do the same with dd6. She is almost finished with 1, and will be starting 2c in a few weeks. She is a little more hesitant with her manuscript, so I like that the first half of 2c continues with that practice.

The big thing with 3 is the ruling of the lines on the paper. It is quite a jump from 1st grade paper to 3rd grade paper. You might want to print out a page from their website to see if going from big letters to small letters will a problem.

Quite possibly more info than you needed, but I hope it helps a little!

eta: Oops, I missed that last question. I have noticed that while my dd8 does very well in cursive on her handwriting worksheets, she looses confidence in her ability when I ask her to use it outside of handwriting practice. I think that using the 4th grade book is going to go a long way in helping her to really train her brain and hand on how it feels and looks to write in cursive. And to remember how to form the letters!

Edited by mlbuchina

My son recently finished ZB 3. He started learning cursive with ZB 2c, but we skipped the manuscript review. 2c has wider ruling than 3, which was very useful for us in the initial letter learning stage of letter formation. After 3, we did not proceed to 4 as my son had mastered all lowercase and most uppercase letters. Instead, I give dictation from our latest read-aloud, and expect it to be written in cursive (I do provide a reference sheet to help with few troublesome capitals.)