Menu

Lively Latin and Latin for Children

happy-hs

We've been using and loving Visual Latin this year. I'd like to add in some extra Latin though. I'll probably grab Lingua Latina just for fun, but I've also been looking into additional texts that might be beneficial.

I was pretty much ready to buy Lively Latin. It looks fun, engaging, substantial, and seems to have lots of variety.

Then I found Latin for Children. I've heard of it, but never looked too closely. It doesn't look as bright and visually appealing as LL, but I've read that it includes more grammar and vocabulary that LL.

So now I'm torn between the two and seriously wishing I could drop several hundred bucks to get both LL and LfC. :tongue_smilie:

I'm not asking a specific question and I've already poured over lots over lots of threads about LL and LfC. I am wishing I had more $$ though, lol.

Melissa :)

We used LL and it was great for a while, but then...it just fizzled. We moved to LfC and it's working really well. We have the mastery bundle (book, activity book, answer book, reader for translations, chant CD and DVD). It is worth every penny! It's not all happy, happy, but there is a lot of grammar with it. The DVD is oddly hysterical. The guy who does the lessons is so geeky and honestly a bit awkward, but I love him for it. At the end of several of the lessons there are weird little chapters of this crazy story played out with dolls and action figures. It's so low budget it's laughable, but Indy gets so excited when a lesson has a chapter with it. They us bits of Latin in them of course, but they're weird.

If your dc already have some Latin experience, Minimus is a really cute program. It is done in comic book style. It was my first pick for a Latin program, but I didn't really understand Latin well enough to teach it IMO. I could sell it back to Amazon for a nice gift card (it's kind of a pricey program for what you get), but I'm holding on to it because I'd like to add it back in once we both have a better grasp of Latin grammar.

Don't forget to check out Minimus, I Speak Latin, and Latin Prep!

I'm no help at all, am I?

Ha! Ha! This made me laugh! :lol:

There are too many great options out there!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked into Minimus as well, but haven't found any samples to check out. Maybe I'll keep looking, lol...

Melissa :)