Menu

Please compare spelling workout and building spelling skills

I'm looking at these two programs for my dd12. Her spelling is horrible and I think we need to start at the beginning. I don't have any experience with either of these two programs. I like that they are inexpensive and can be used independently which is very important.

What are the pro's and cons of each? If you have used both which one did you prefer?

thanks!

I don't know about Spelling Workout, but I did briefly try Building Spelling Skills and did not like it. I was looking into it for the same reasons as you and was able to find a cheap used copy to sample. Basically all it does is have the children memorize and then lists of words that follow the same spelling rule, but they never really go into an explanation of why they are spelled the way they are. I was really not impressed with it. We are using AAS now and I really like how my children are understanding why words are spelled the way they are. After we finish level 3 we are going to move into IEW Phonetic Zoo, which is independent. I know it can be pricey, but I got a used copy of Phonetic Zoo A for $55 ppd. and it is nonconsumable so all of my children will be able to use it.