Menu

Questions about my daughter's 8th and 9th grade plans...

8th:

Math – Chalkdust Algebra

Lang. Arts – CLE LA 8

CLE Reading 8 w/ Lightning Lit 8 2nd semester

Vocabulary for the College Bound Student

Writing- Writing w/Skill 2

Bible – The Most Important Thing You’ll Ever Study book 2

Logic – Memoria Press Traditional 1

Science –Apologia Physical Science w/Dive

Latin –Second Form

History – Middle Ages/Renaissance: Truthquest Middle Ages, Renaissance/Reformation, part of AOR 1 w/ notebooking and some great books

9th:

Math – Chalkdust Geometry

Lang. Arts –

CLE LA LU

Lightning Lit Early British, Early American (1 sem. each)

Vocabulary for the College Bound Student

Bible – The Most Important Thing You Will Ever Study book 3

Logic – Memoria Press Traditional 2

Spanish – Visual Link Spanish?

Science – Apologia with Dive cd and CLEP/SAT2

Latin- Third Form

History – Early Modern: Truthquest Age of Revolution 1, part of Age of Revolution 2 with notebooking

1. Where would you squeeze in geography? And what would you use? She maps for her history notebooks, but she is weak on physical and cultural geography. Would you go with something BJU Cultural Geography (without the dvds) in 8th - I can't imagine where should we have time for that in her day.

2. What about a first AP course for 9th? Most of her friends from ballet who go to a prep school take an AP class for 9th and she really wants to try it with PA homeschoolers.

Edited by LNC

1. Where would you squeeze in geography? And what would you use?

We didn't squeeze it in. :) Some of the colleges that we looked at said that they "prefer" at least a semester of geography. My daughter took "Human Geography" last semester which is an interdisciplinary course tying together cultural geography, economics, etc. There's an AP test for Human Geography.

2. What about a first AP course for 9th? Most of her friends from ballet who go to a prep school take an AP class for 9th and she really wants to try it with PA homeschoolers.

If she wants to take an AP course, I'd go for it. Perhaps she could take AP Human Geography, if you'd like to knock a geography course out of the way.

We didn't squeeze it in. :) Some of the colleges that we looked at said that they "prefer" at least a semester of geography. My daughter took "Human Geography" last semester which is an interdisciplinary course tying together cultural geography, economics, etc. There's an AP test for Human Geography.

If she wants to take an AP course, I'd go for it. Perhaps she could take AP Human Geography, if you'd like to knock a geography course out of the way.

Could someone who is weak in geography take AP Human Geography in 9th and do well? Should she do BJU Cultural Geography in 8th to prepare?

DD13 will be a 9th grader so I'm no expert but she will be taking at least 3 AP Classes next year (her choice)

She'll be taking AP Human Geography and AP Spanish w/ PA Homeschoolers and AP Environmental Science. I was thinking about her also doing BYU World History (it goes by continents) and dd wants to self study for the AP World History test just to see if she can pass it :001_huh:

I think your dd could still take AP Geography and pass it as long as she studies it very well. You could do BJU Geography in 8th grade to prepare but I don't think it's necessary.