Menu

Questions about math relief

I am looking at Math Relief and like what I see, but I had a few questions.

1. My daughter is in 8th grade this year taking Algebra 1. She is going to a small Christian school and they are using a McGraw Hill Alg. 1 book. Will she have any trouble transitioning? My daughter is not strong in math, but she studies very hard and got an A last semester. My son is in 7th taking pre-algebra. He has a B in math this year. Neither of my kids enjoy math. So I am just wondering about the transition if anyone has experience with that.

2. Is this a spiral program or mastery? How much review is there? We had used MUS years ago and there was just not enough review for us. What is this like?

Thanks in advance!

Cindy

I am looking at Math Relief and like what I see, but I had a few questions.

1. My daughter is in 8th grade this year taking Algebra 1. She is going to a small Christian school and they are using a McGraw Hill Alg. 1 book. Will she have any trouble transitioning? My daughter is not strong in math, but she studies very hard and got an A last semester. My son is in 7th taking pre-algebra. He has a B in math this year. Neither of my kids enjoy math. So I am just wondering about the transition if anyone has experience with that.

2. Is this a spiral program or mastery? How much review is there? We had used MUS years ago and there was just not enough review for us. What is this like?

Thanks in advance!

Cindy

1. Will you put your dd into Algebra 1 or 2? She would do fine in Algebra 1, but you might call or email them about whether they recommend reviewing any units for Algebra 2. This year when my son started Algebra 2, I asked whether I should go back and review any of Algebra 1 and they said there was plenty of review built in, so we didn't review and ds did fine. However, he was coming from Math Relief Alg. 1.

Your ds should do fine, since Algebra 1 includes prealgebra. Concepts are taught as they come up.

2. I'd say it's more like it builds upon itself. For instance, right now my son is simplifying complex statements in Algebra 2. So at the beginning of the unit, he went over basic square roots & reducing those. Then fractions. Then exponents. Then they are mixed and reduced in a typical fashion. Then they are mixed and the student must figure out what can be done, what should be done first, etc. And finally, the imaginary "i" was added to the mix. Then after maybe 20 lessons building the skill of simplifying complex statements, he tested.

There are separate sections. For instance, before this, he spent about 40 lessons on complex word problems, so enough time spent that the skills were built up. There weren't "review" problems but the word problems did require using skills previously learned.

HTH,

Julie