Menu

Mathtutordvd.com question

Has anyone used the mathtutordvd.com sequence at the high school algebra level? Specifically, I'm interested in Alg 1 through Alg 2.

DD is now attending college and needs a remedial math course at the Intermediate level. Unfortunately her school does not offer any kind of math below Calc 1, so she is on her own for learning. This has not worked out well in the past, she is unable to teach herself from a text alone. She has one month--the entire month of January--to review Alg 1 and Alg 2 areas, as needed. Her college does not utilize online programs like MyMathLab or CourseCompass. Essentially, she has to devise her own curriculum and a tutoring method.

I suggested Khan Academy, which works well for me, but Sal Khan talks super fast and dd is a bit slow in the audio processing area. Jason at Mathtutordvd speaks much slower and has a pleasant voice.

Is it possible to learn (in dd's case, review and re-learn) Intermediate Algebra in a month using MathTutordvd along with an abbreviated text and a clear scope-and-sequence?

Prior to tackling the math dd will take an assessment through ALEKS or Accuplacer to determine her areas of deficiency.

I feel bad nobody has answered so I’ll make an attempt.

I think highly of Mathtutordvd but first things first.

You really haven’t provided enough information. I presume that your daughter has only January because there’s a class she’s taking in February? If that class is calculus and your daughter is weak in algebra maybe she should defer calculus if possible. Then in the summer she could review more and even try to get a head start on calculus.

The central question is how much algebra she already knows and what spring class does she need it for.

I’m also concerned that a college with no math classes before calculus is probably a competitive school. The Mathtutordvd courses to prepare for a rigorous calculus class would also need to include “The Advanced Algebra Tutor†and “The Trigonometry & Pre-Calculus Tutorâ€.

Mathtutordvd has great explanations but without doing homework type problems that information will quickly fade from memory. One possibly is to find an older / cheaper edition of Algebra and pre-calculus that has an associated student solutions manual. Lial is often recommended on this board. Then try to match problems in the book and solution manual with topics on the DVD. It looks like Mathtutordvd also has some Algebra 1 and 2 worksheets that could be useful. Again, watching lectures without solving problems on paper will not be enough.

There would be more options if there was more time.

Again, if she is weak in algebra and about to take a rigorous calculus class this would be a big problem.

Thank you SO much, David. Yes, dd is at a highly competitive school. She is exempt from math if she chooses to be--and she has so chosen, until now.

Daughter has taken Algebra 2 twice in h/s and both times earned Bs, but it was memorized just to pass, and quickly forgotten. Most work was on the computer, multiple choice answers, and thus, no long-term memory gain which comes with writing (and worksheets).

She has tried to teach herself from Lials' and Blitzers' books, but she gets lost in the text, spends too much time reading theory and not enough time solving problems. because she has attention/focus problems she is easily distracted with photos, graphics, stories, fonts of different colors and sizes, etc etc.

I am certain she will be able to cover MathTutorDVD Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 within a month. I've run through them myself and they are very concise yet thorough. Exactly what she needs.

In February she is hoping to move on to College Algebra (Pre-Calc) in a self-study class. for 4 months. The best text she has found is Pre-Calculus: A Unit Circle Approach ISBN 9780321537096 which seems to align quite well with the MathTutorDVD Advanced Algebra, Matrix Algebra, and Trig & Pre-Calc dvds.

Edited by distancia

I think the "Help Me Solve This" works so much better than reading text examples since so few students actually use text examples correctly for practice. I like that it generally gives the reasoning too. A bit more interactive than just watching a video :)