Menu

TOG questions please

Blessed with seven

I would be using this w/ 6-14 year olds, 4 kids. Please tell me, is it as parent intensive as it looks? Also...does it have questions for the literature? Does it have "answer keys" or is this a "you must learn along w/ your kids" to know how to answer the questions? I read somewhere that you have to read the books to be able to ask your kids questions?

Just curious...I would love to do Sonlight or HOD but honestly cant see myself doing as many guides as I would need to to fit in all kids.

What all is covered in TOG and what else do you need to do, obviously Math and Grammar right?

Thanks in advance...just curious..I had a friend try this one year, she has a large family and she ended up w/ MFW and loved it. I am not doing MFW so...

Just trying to find a good fit other than trying to do so many subjects seperately, then they never get done :)

Kim (homeschooling mom of 7)

It does take a bit of study (from the material in the guide) so you have an idea what the lesson is about. But TOG provides wonderful teacher helps from summary info to answers to discussion questions for logic and rhetoric. If we had been at a place where weekly discussions fit our family, I would definitely have stayed with TOG. Being part of a discussion group through a co-op is a good option too.

We are currently in our first year of TOG and we LOVE it. I have never had a curriculum with which I can actually stay on target and complete the assignments as they given. The reading lists are broad and there are plenty of options, the teacher notes are fantastic. It does not dictate to you how to teach it but offers sufficient guidelines that you are not left in the dark--there is more there than I could ever complete in one week's time, but as we go, I get more and more of the material covered with the kids.

I think it is important to remember that you cannot do ALLLLL of TOG at a time. The analogy is often given "it is a buffet," so you can't choose everything available for one meal.

What really, really helps with TOG is to take plenty of time to really study a unit that you would like to complete, to read the suggestions of how to start on the Loom, and to have some friends to do the weekly discussions with. We have five families that get together each week at our church to discuss the material and do the geography. We cover history, literature, geography, and try to work in a craft or project each week. All of us agree that we would not be able to do it without each other as successfully as we have been doing it together. TOG lends itself to co-op atmosphere, but could be done just fine on your own, provided you make the time to have discussions each week with your student.

You are better off reading what your students are reading in the literature department once they get to dialectic / rhetoric, but the teacher notes and student activity pages provide questions and answers for you. If you don't get to it, you still can check them and have a reasonable discussion, but wouldn't be able to engage them at the same level.

I have one LG student and one D student. The D student keeps me on my toes, but so far it has been fantastic. I love being able to have all the "stuff" at my fingertips in one place. They are essentially on the same page with the time periods that they are studying, but they cover the history on different levels.

Okay..I printed out the sample and for example, under Geography (weekly overview) it says to Practice learning geographic terms. Does it tell you how to go about doing this?

I would not like that, I like very specific instructions, like get out your geography book, go to page ..... and do the assignment or whatever..

Does this make sense? TOG may not be for me...just curious, I love how it incorporates Bible/History etc....

Kim

Okay..I printed out the sample and for example, under Geography (weekly overview) it says to Practice learning geographic terms. Does it tell you how to go about doing this?

I would not like that, I like very specific instructions, like get out your geography book, go to page ..... and do the assignment or whatever..

Does this make sense? TOG may not be for me...just curious, I love how it incorporates Bible/History etc....

Kim

If you need very specific instructions, TOG may not be a good fit right now. Or maybe find a veteran user that can help you walk through it until you get used to the set up.

Edited by HiddenJewel

Kim

There should be a place in the threads where it tells you what geographic terms to study...that is usually a few pages over from the "threads" page.