Menu

Which tablet for skype?

LNC

My husband would like a tablet for Christmas. Which one takes Skype?
Most Android or iOS (Apple) tables will run Skype. The glaring exception is the Kindle Fire, since it does not have either a microphone nor a Bluetooth interface, so there would be no way for you to speak to the other party.
I've heard that Android doesn't work, is that true?
That is not true. Skype is available for Android.
I would like to get a cover with a keyboard also.
That's a good idea. Just beware if you get an iPad: most keyboard cases for iPad do NOT have two shift keys. If this is for a touch typist, you will want to get one with TWO shift keys.

Most Android or iOS (Apple) tables will run Skype. The glaring exception is the Kindle Fire, since it does not have either a microphone nor a Bluetooth interface, so there would be no way for you to speak to the other party.That is not true. Skype is available for Android.That's a good idea. Just beware if you get an iPad: most keyboard cases for iPad do NOT have two shift keys. If this is for a touch typist, you will want to get one with TWO shift keys.

Ok great! Do you have a android rec?

Ok great! Do you have a android rec?
No. I bought the Motorola Xoom for DS21 for Christmas. As such, I will not have any feedback on it until after you have already made your purchase.

It was a refurbished one sold by Woot! (through Amazon) one day for $339.00. He did not want an iPad since he is doing Android development and wanted a full-featured tablet to use as a development platform, along with his Android phone.

Is there some reason he wouldn't like an iPad? If not, then that might be a good choice. I will say that my original plan was to go with an Android tablet based on how happy we have been with our Android phones. But in the end I decided to go with iPads for me and our younger children, mainly motivated by Google's missteps with the Android Market for tablets (it is different from the one for phones!). MomsintheGarden and DD19 got Kindle Fires which, as mentioned, will not work for Skype.

There are some others here who have purchases Android tablets who may want to comment on their preferences.

Good luck with whatever you choose!