Menu

bilingual late-talker?

My DS turned two at the end of September. DH and I just figured that he was a late talker, but we brought it up at his two-year check up, and the pediatrician referred us to early intervention. He doesn't seem to have any problems understanding what people say--if asked, he'll point to things, retrieve things, do whatever you request, etc. Since he spends a lot of time with my parents, he also understands their native language (I am fluent, too, but at about the level of a first or second grader). But when it comes to speaking, he only has a handful of words in each language that are clearly pronounced (I'm not counting words that we understand but would be unintelligible to an outsider). He can also make a number of animal sounds. He often doesn't vocalize words when imitating us; they tend to be whispered. His babbling is vocalized, though. He is not able to say simple two or three word sentences. I haven't tried signing because I wonder if it will delay his talking more.

We had a screening evaluation with the early intervention coordinator, who has referred us for a formal evaluation by a speech therapist (scheduled for the end of the month). I guess I wonder if I should have seen this as a problem earlier--we knew that he was late, but we figured that it was still in the acceptable range. And is it still likely that he'll catch up in his own time? I've read conflicting things about whether learning two languages might delay speech, so I"m not sure if he's late because of the two languages or because of other issues. Any wisdom from the hive would be very much appreciated!