Menu

Spelling & Vocabualry Question

Heading to convention in a week and need to make some decisions:

How long do you do spelling with your children? What grade do you stop at? When you stop spelling, do you move into vocab? Which vocab program? :confused:

This was a subject I wanted to dump but after dicussing it with hubby, I know that I need to add it back into our day.

Thanks for your help in advance

I use R&S Spelling from 2nd grade to 8th grade. In 7th grade this series moves into a vocabulary program as it focuses on word roots. I don't plan to do a formal spelling or vocabulary program in high school because I think the R&S program is building a strong foundation in phonetics, word building, and dictionary skills. In addition, we study Latin & Greek from elementary to high school so that should provide more than enough knowledge to improve their vocabulary skills.

HTH!

I think you drop spelling when it isn't needed.

But I evaluated that decision yearly, as it could become needed again as their writing vocabulary expands.

My ds didn't need spelling in 3rd through 5th grades because he could spell everything he was writing. I gave him a pretest and posttest each year (using Spelling Power, WRTR, or other tests I had around), and he tested way over his grade and did show improvement each year even without instruction.

However, in 6th grade, we met words that he doesn't use in his everyday life. He started to need spelling again in order to keep up with his reading and writing level.

However, I never have him waste time working on words he already knows. That's why I like programs like SP and WRTR better than a workbook approach where you're stuck with the words on the page.

Julie