Menu

Using Cuisenaire Rods

Rbsmrter

I've been stalking these boards for quite some time and I've finally come out of hiding :001_smile:

My daughter will be finishing up Singapore Earlybird Math this summer and while we plan on continuing with it in the fall, I'd like to introduce Miquon. In preparation for Miquon I've given her a set of Cuisenaire Rods to play with.I realize she's extremely young for all of it, but it's something she thoroughly enjoys doing and continually asks for, so I figure I'll give her every opportunity to explore. My question is how to do you refer to them? I've generally said something along the lines of "This block represents 1. This block represents 2..." I realize that each person probably says something a little different, but I was just curious how other people referred to them. I'm wondering if using the term "represents" could be confusing to her. I've thought about just saying "this is 1" but I'm not sure if that is more/less confusing when you get to the other rods that represent more than 1 but are still a single rod. She's already figured out that she can make 10 (or any number) lots of different ways, I just haven't given her the vocabulary to realize she's creating number bonds.

I realize how I refer to each block is probably inconsequential in the grand scheme of things but I remember that when we did the measurement unit in Singapore she was very confused by the idea of measuring with "blocks" (or spoons or whatever random graphic they decided to use on the page). Instead of saying a picture of a person was 5 "blocks" we just got out a ruler or the cuisenaire rods and gave a measurement of cms or inches. Since we are starting so early, I just want to make sure we create a strong foundation and I dont confuse her or make things harder or more complicated then they need to be!

Use the colors.

You don't really want any number to be correlated with a particular number, at least not until they have played with them lots (like for years).

Sometimes purple might be 1, then red would be 1/2, and brown would be 2. What if orange were 1?

I know there are rods with squares (or is it cubes?) scored into them, but I think the open ended part of Cuisaire Rods is what makes them so helpful in really playing with number relationships.

Look for ways to notice what the common unit is.

"Oh, look this purple is is 2 reds 'big'."

"But, it's also 4 whites 'big'."

Measuring with different items is priceless. It would be fun to measure a foot pace of yours with a longhandled spatula. "My pace is 3 spatulas long." Then child's pace with a baby spoon. "Hey, I think you must have a larger pace because yours is 6 baby spoons big?"

This concept of measuring in repeating interchangeable units builds all the way into algebra concepts in singapore 2b and up.

We've loved using Miquon and Singapore together. It was one of the best decisions I made.:grouphug: