Menu

Jumping from CLE LA to R&S - placement question

diaperjoys

Can anyone help me with this?? My son just began CLE LA 202. He commented today that he feels like he's doing first grade work, and is learning nothing new. (Last year-1st grade-he did Saxon Phonics & Shurley Grammar in a private school) I let him take the Unit Test for level 205, which is the highest level lightunit that I have on my shelf. He scored an 85%.

So - I need to purchase more curriculum for him - would it be reasonable for him to jump to Rod and Staff Grade 3 Grammar/Reading? I've looked at samples online, and was planning to go that direction next year, but I'd love the input of someone who has actually used the materials. He reads on a 6th grade level, just turned 8yo, and feels like he ought to be in 3rd grade rather than 2nd. (He did K at home, 1st at home, tested into 2nd at and then 1st again at the private school - he was academically ready for 2nd last year, but maturity was solidly 1st grade)

I suppose we could just move through CLE LA 200 quickly, but we're already replacing writing (WWE), penmanship (Classically cursive), and spelling (R&S Spelling).

I think it'd be fine. My newly 7 year old is doing R&S 3, and even being a level ahead, I still have to double up some lessons. R&S 2 was too slow last year in first grade. I had to use FLL2 (still a bit slow, but not nearly as slow as R&S).

I'm planning to join the MCT cult for 3rd grade, as I think that would move appropriately for him.

So, he got an 85% on CLE 205 test? Then, just start him on 206 and go from there. CLE is a good language arts program. Sounds like 202 is easy for him and he wants more challenge, so 206 might be a good place to go.

CLE does have lots of review, so some children might feel that they are doing easy material. However, you will find out that the review helps keep the material in their heads. It's not about what they learn- it's about what they retain. CLE keeps reminding them of prior material from time to time so it stays in their little brains. If it is too much review, you can cross out some of the questions in CLE to make it go quicker.

R & S is also a good program. But it doesn't have the continuous review. Some people prefer the mastery approach of R & S. But some young boys don't like to do all the writing.

With CLE, you write in the workbooks, but with R & S, you write on a separate sheet of paper. If you have younger children and will reuse the books, that is great. Or, some people do much of R & S orally if their children don't want to do all the writing. But then, it's not independent work.

CLE will soon be fairly independent for your son. Yes, you could switch to R & S 3rd grade. It is a good, very solid, very thorough program. But, I don't think it's necessary. I would suggest just skipping a couple of Lightunits and continuing with CLE.

R&S has continuous review. It's in the oral review section for each lesson in the TM. For example, we learned about the dictionary in the first couple lessons, then moved on to sentences, subject/predicate, etc. Each lesson, the oral review goes over dictionary, subject predicate, etc. We've done 12 lessons, and every single one has had a question about those early topics.

You also choose how much you want your kid to write. You can do it orally, at the white board, or on paper. There are worksheets you can use also. It's really very flexible in that you can assign however much work your kid needs, in whatever form he needs it.

Just to update...I was all set to just order the rest of CLE for my son, as this post suggested. But I decided to have him take the diagnostic test first. And, guess what? The instructions say a student needs to make a 70% to be ready for CLE 3rd grade - he just finished, and scored 80%. No wonder he felt like he wasn't learning anything new! I really didn't think he'd pass, but I guess I've underestimated his level.

We did decide to go with R&S, though, largely because I'm replacing so many aspects of the CLE LA.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

So, he got an 85% on CLE 205 test? Then, just start him on 206 and go from there. CLE is a good language arts program. Sounds like 202 is easy for him and he wants more challenge, so 206 might be a good place to go.

CLE does have lots of review, so some children might feel that they are doing easy material. However, you will find out that the review helps keep the material in their heads. It's not about what they learn- it's about what they retain. CLE keeps reminding them of prior material from time to time so it stays in their little brains. If it is too much review, you can cross out some of the questions in CLE to make it go quicker.

R & S is also a good program. But it doesn't have the continuous review. Some people prefer the mastery approach of R & S. But some young boys don't like to do all the writing.

With CLE, you write in the workbooks, but with R & S, you write on a separate sheet of paper. If you have younger children and will reuse the books, that is great. Or, some people do much of R & S orally if their children don't want to do all the writing. But then, it's not independent work.

CLE will soon be fairly independent for your son. Yes, you could switch to R & S 3rd grade. It is a good, very solid, very thorough program. But, I don't think it's necessary. I would suggest just skipping a couple of Lightunits and continuing with CLE.