Menu

Criminal Justice Course

My ds has started to show an interest in being a lawyer or some sort of aspect in the criminal justice area. I was thinking of making an Intro to Criminal Justice class to see if it is something he would like to learn more about. Has anyone used 'Criminal Justice - A Brief Introduction' by Frank Schmalleger? How did you like it? Or does anyone have any suggestions as to this path that I could do?

Thanks a bunch

How about debate or mock trial? My son wants to be an attorney and debate is what sparked his interest. How about taking him to a real trial? Spend the day watching your state legislature in action? I'm thinking you might want to show him what his interest looks like in real life instead of (or in addition to) a book. Or let him watch Gideon's Trumpet a great movie about appealing to the Supreme Court.

What about forensics? There are many interesting books and movies on forensics. Your local police department may let you arrange a "field trip."

Do you know any one in the criminal justice system? There's nothing like visiting with someone to get a feel for what it's really like.

Good luck,

Tracie

Thank you both for the information. I am just in the planning stages of putting something together - as ds came to me a few days ago and talked to me about it. He really never showed an interest beforehand, but it does mesh well with his personality. I did think of contacting my local courthouse about trials and being able to make a day of sitting in one. I'm not all about the book, but do need to have a spine of sorts to go along with field trips. I'll look into the mock trial. I had thought of that, but I'm not sure of how to find out more about them as I live in the country and it is a bit difficult trying to find areas that do it close by.