Menu

Anyone use Bob Jones 8th grade history on Dvd (or distance learning)?

Hi. This is my first post on this board in years! If you have used the BJU Heritage Studies 8 (The American Republic) via distance learning I would love to know your opinion of the teacher, the video presentation (skits, etc.), and the class in general. In the short sample I saw on-line at BJU's web site, the teacher seemed to just be reciting what was in the book, (though with very nice added visual touches and video clips, I'll admit!) I like the text book, but was hoping for a teacher that could really add to it and make it come alive, or at least add good commentary beyond the book. Are the skits, reinactments , extra visuals, etc. very good and worthwhile, or a lot of "fluff"?

I know BJU doesn't use a classical approach, but I want to use a DVD program next year, for various reasons. One being that my dd, who is a very good student, wants more structure and more of a challenge than I have been giving her, and she would appreciate a different teacher (than me!) for a change of pace--especially one who really knows the material better than I do. (I just don't have the time to prepare and put together my own history curriculum anymore!) She is the only one being homeschooled now. I am also considering the ABeka dvds for history, too. I will post a separate question about that, too.

Thanks for any feedback you can give me!