Menu

Any info on Handle on the Arts?

I taught this in our co-op this past winter to a group of children 6-12yo. It went over very well, though I had to do some tweaking, as there is WAY too much in one lesson to fit into 50" time. The pictures and music are great, and there is an interesting mix of composers and artists to cover. The activities are fun, too. I am planning to teach it again in the fall using different lessons. The lessons are well planned out. My 12yo ds enjoyed it, as well as some boys who were 6 and 7. It went over well with boys and girls. It is pricey, but I have found it to be the best arts study that I have come across. (I have a background in music.)

If there are any other questions I can answer, let me know.

I taught this in our co-op this past winter to a group of children 6-12yo. It went over very well, though I had to do some tweaking, as there is WAY too much in one lesson to fit into 50" time. The pictures and music are great, and there is an interesting mix of composers and artists to cover. The activities are fun, too. I am planning to teach it again in the fall using different lessons. The lessons are well planned out. My 12yo ds enjoyed it, as well as some boys who were 6 and 7. It went over well with boys and girls. It is pricey, but I have found it to be the best arts study that I have come across. (I have a background in music.)

If there are any other questions I can answer, let me know.

THank you, Kim! This is an area we have too often skipped over and when I saw it and how well organized and planned out it is, I felt like I woudl actually accomplish it.

I'm surprised about the time commitment, though. They advertise it as about 20 minutes per day. I guess in a coop setting it would take a bit longer, but that seems like a big difference.

I think I'm going to try their mini-unit that has four weeks planned and see how we like it.

Thanks for your input.

Amy

THank you, Kim! This is an area we have too often skipped over and when I saw it and how well organized and planned out it is, I felt like I woudl actually accomplish it.

I'm surprised about the time commitment, though. They advertise it as about 20 minutes per day. I guess in a coop setting it would take a bit longer, but that seems like a big difference.

For your own family, it does end up being about 20 minutes/day; trying to fit 80-100 minutes of one week's lesson into one co-op class is hard! :)

I think I'm going to try their mini-unit that has four weeks planned and see how we like it.

The mini-unit is a good way to start. It will give you a good introduction. There really isn't any overlap in the art or music if you choose to get one of the other sets.

Thanks for your input.

Amy

HTH.