Menu

How to set up a Science Co-op?

I asked this in the 36-week curriculum thread but thought it might get more answers in its own post.

I recently started a History Club that meets for 1 hr twice a month after hearing about such things on these boards. It has been a smashing success. (We cover a chapter of Story of the World I and do an activity together). I have been thinking of starting something similar for Science but am kind of at a loss at to where to start and what to cover. I saw someone mentioned Apologia in another thread, but we are not of young earth philosophy so we do not use that curriculum.

If you have done something like a Science Club for younger kids (2nd-4th grades), can you please share with me your format and suggestions?

I'm leaning toward doing an environmental conservation type of club. Where the kids learn about things like conserving resources, reducing, recycling, reusing, composting, rain barrels...all of that type of stuff. That is my personal passion right now and vision for this type of club.

thanks so much!

Angela

Having taught science to grades K-8 for the past 9 years, I have used a lot of different materials! Deciding which curriculum to use depends on your budget, too. I should also add that I don't necessarily follow that children need to learn science in any particular order in the elementary years, so these suggestions follow my opinions, KWIM?

For many years I taught in a setting that met once a week for a total of 24 weeks. I taught Anatomy, Microbiology, Life Cycles, Magic Math, Bugs/Birds, Animal Kingdom, and later, a history of science that corresponded with a history timeline. Our classes met once weekly and I led the students in hands-on activities that reinforced the lesson. They had homework to do at home in the form of worksheets (in creative styles or basic).

For many classes I wrote my own plans and used reproducibles bought at a teacher supply store to send home as homework. For classroom use, I really enjoyed AIMS Educational materials. They are well organized and easy to implement. They are generally secular, but you can add a Christian twist if you like.

I'm leaning toward doing an environmental conservation type of club. Where the kids learn about things like conserving resources, reducing, recycling, reusing, composting, rain barrels...all of that type of stuff. That is my personal passion right now and vision for this type of club.

In that case, you might want to look into Earth Scouts or Roots & Shoots.

I'm not involved in either one (though I probably should be!), but from what I've heard it sounds like one of these organizations might suit your needs, or at least supply you with some inspiration and ideas.

In that case, you might want to look into Earth Scouts or Roots & Shoots.

I'm not involved in either one (though I probably should be!), but from what I've heard it sounds like one of these organizations might suit your needs, or at least supply you with some inspiration and ideas.

Thanks! I hadn't heard of either of those before, I'll look them up!

Angela

Having taught science to grades K-8 for the past 9 years, I have used a lot of different materials! Deciding which curriculum to use depends on your budget, too. I should also add that I don't necessarily follow that children need to learn science in any particular order in the elementary years, so these suggestions follow my opinions, KWIM?

For many years I taught in a setting that met once a week for a total of 24 weeks. I taught Anatomy, Microbiology, Life Cycles, Magic Math, Bugs/Birds, Animal Kingdom, and later, a history of science that corresponded with a history timeline. Our classes met once weekly and I led the students in hands-on activities that reinforced the lesson. They had homework to do at home in the form of worksheets (in creative styles or basic).

For many classes I wrote my own plans and used reproducibles bought at a teacher supply store to send home as homework. For classroom use, I really enjoyed AIMS Educational materials. They are well organized and easy to implement. They are generally secular, but you can add a Christian twist if you like.

Thanks so much for the info! I bet you had an awesome class!

Angela