Menu

New Editions

New editions are often more desirable because the consumable workbooks are current to that edition, but if you are in the upper levels where there are no consumables, the older versions are just fine. In Saxon, some of the newer editions have references to the past lessons for each problem, so that if your child has a difficulty remembering how to do a certain problem, he/she can look up the lesson for that problem. The older editions may or may not have that option. (I think all of my editions are now "older" but I've owned them for a long time and I'm perfectly happy with them.) Hope that helps!

I use mostly used math texts. My middle dc used the SPM textbooks that her older brother used & they're 7 grades apart. My eldest used an older edition of Foester's pre-Calculus, and Calculus texts. Middle dd uses an older & OP series of texts written by Mary Dolciani, my youngest, a used set of Oak Meadow math texts.

My eldest did just fine and almost aced the SAT math section and got a 36 on the ACT math part, so old & dated is not bad at all.

Oops! Forgot to add ds used a "new" algebra I & II text as we purchased them through EPGY, other than that & a few of the SPM textbooks, we prefer old & used--grin.

Next fall will be the first time my rising 5th grader might have a new math book as we're going to use Teaching Textbooks 7, and maybe TT Algebra for my rising 6th grader.