Menu

Little House question (not even sure there's a known answer, but I'm curious!)

Starting with The Hard Winter, and on through These Happy Golden Years, the Ingalls stay in Pa's store building in town during the winter. Is it known why it was always empty? It was also empty on 4th of July in Little Town on the Prairie. Was Pa never able to rent it, or did he keep it empty specifically for when it wasn't safe for the family to be out on the claim? Did Laura ever explain this?

If memory serves, pa had a hard time keeping it rented. There was something in an online biography of him that a read concerning this. I wish I could remember the site. It was several years ago.

They did winter on the homestead once during These Happy Golden Years. He had finally winterized it well, the gardens and crops were good, he had laid in plenty of coal, and felt more comfortable staying put. Almanzo had gone to his folks in Minnesoata for Christmas and she thought he was going to be gone for most of the winter. He showed up on Christmas Eve with a gift for her.

I think they felt more secure closer to home and the one time he rented the building to a judge, the guy never paid his rent and left a desk behind in lieu of payment....probably nothing to practical for Pa's needs.

Faith