Menu

Please give me your thoughts and ideas on a co-op class I am teaching

susancollins

Animals and Art

This is a 5 week class series, and we will be learning about different animals and doing art projects that go along with animals.

1. The 1st week we will do the Life Cycle of a Butterfly and we will be making Butterflies using tissue paper, watercolors, and clothes pin

2. The 2nd week we will be learning about Porcupines and we will be making a Porcupine using Clay, Spaghetti, and a few other items.

3. The 3rd week we will be learning about Fish and doing a project I am still working on it.

4. The 4th week we will be doing Turtles and doing a related art project.

5. The 5th week we will be doing Frogs and doing a related art project.

I am wondering if parents would be interest in this class I am teaching on offering. This co-op is through church and is on a volunteer basis. I was told we have a need for a preschool class. I volunteered to teach a class and this is what I came up with. I want to make the parents and the children happy. I want to offer a class that has educational value. Give your honest opinion and I will update on the projects for week 3,4, and 5 within a couple of days. Thank you so much! I appreciate your time for reading this and your comments.

I think it sounds great. In the one co-op we were involved with, finding volunteers for the preschool age classes was always a challenge. I was honestly happy with anything a parent provided as a volunteer. :) Kids love art and animals, so I think it's a winning combination.

I love it and have taught similar classes. It's also really fun to tie in a children's book that "stars" the animal being studied.

Butterfly--Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Porcupine--A Porcupine Named Fluffy (hilarious book, but I don't recall the author off the top of my head)

Fish--Rainbow Fish or One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Turtle--Dr. Seuss's Yertle the Turtle

Frog--Lobel's Frog and Toad books

I've also used a couple of books called Five Minute Devotions for Children and More Five Minute Devotions for Children (Kennedy). They are short devotions that each feature a different animal, tying a character trait to that animal.

For crafts just search the internet--this site has tons of ideas: http://www.dltk-kids.com/

I also really like the Judy Press books (same author/publisher as the handprint book that someone else mentioned).

Have fun--sounds like my kind of class!