Menu

ACT scores up---improving reading/English scores?

I thought I remembered reading a post here about how to read a paragraph on the ACT reading portion and dissect it. It was a post about tips to improve your score in that section. Did anyone save it?

My 10th grader's ACT scores were up this morning. It was his first time on the ACT and he did well. His math and science scores were excellent; his reading and English scores are the ones that he'll need to focus on for next year.

Thank you--

Christi

There was a thread started by Kendall on 4/14. I'm not sure if that is the one you're referring to, it had to do with science on the ACT, but also reading.

Congrats to your ds! For the English test next year, drill that grammar & vocab.:tongue_smilie:

Your post in that thread was the one I was looking for! Thanks so much for taking the time to read this thread and reply. I was going to spend my evening looking for it. I am going to print it off and put it in the ACT prep book.

He got a 21 in both the English/reading sections. Those aren't terrible scores and the CC where he will dual enroll next year will accept a 21 in lieu of the college placement test. However, I know he can do better.

He is a slower reader and I know he could be helped by learning to mark up the passage the way you suggested in the other post. What things will help on the English section?

Have a lovely evening,

Christi

Hi Christi,

I just went and looked at an ACT to remind myself of what is in each section. I teach a lot more SAT than ACT and I was thinking the ACT had those sentence completion questions (basically vocab) that the SAT has in such abundance. It does not, so don't bother cramming a bunch of vocab for the ACT.

The ACT English test is just several passages with words and phrases underlined, in which the student has to decide between "No Change" and three other options for correcting the underlined section. Basically, they are testing punctuation, grammar and useage. Have your ds study up on comma rules and common useage mistakes, and of course take a couple practice tests. HTH!

Have your ds study up on comma rules and common useage mistakes, and of course take a couple practice tests. HTH!

I second this. The first time my ds took the ACT at the end of 10th, he had a 23 on the English. I paid extra to get a copy of the test and his answers and found he made many mistakes with comma usage. We worked through some of Warriner's to review and when he took it again 6 months later, his English score was 29.