Menu

IEW users, what are your long term goals

Quiver0f10

I know I am thinkng way ahead here but, I am looking at using ancient history based writing lessons this coming year with my 5th, 7th and 8th graders. Would I then continue using the history based programs( medievel, US...) or do they teach the same things over again?

If they are meant to be used one after the other, what would you use when you were done with the history based ones? Would you continue with IEW( if so, which product would you use) or something else completely?

I hope this made sense LOL

Thanks! :)

The History-Based books are a convenience, but they're not essential for doing the program. Part of the beauty of IEW is that the models can be applied to any subject. If you've done three or so years of Verstegen's books, then I suspect your dc - especially at those ages - will have the nuts and bolts of IEW down and will be ready to apply what they've learned across the curriculum. That's what I'm hoping will happen with my kiddos, anyway. :)

As for the books being repetitious - yes, I think they are, a bit. I haven't seen them all, but I used the Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons this year in a co-op setting. It was my first introduction to teaching IEW, and I thought it moved very quickly and didn't allow enough time to practice the various dress-ups and decorations before introducing new ones. I had a younger group of students (8-10) who had never done IEW before, and I wound up scaling back the requirements for them to keep it from being too overwhelming. In TWSS, Andrew Pudewa really stresses that the children should practice each new thing many times until it becomes easy, and then they should move on. My impression was that the Medieval History book was written assuming previous experience with IEW, perhaps through the Ancient History Lessons book. I haven't used or even seen that one, but I understand from people who have that it is a gentler introduction than the Medieval History book.

I do have the American History-Based Writing Lessons (Volume 1) book, and I think it also moves more gradually than the Medieval History Lessons book and might be a good starting point for people interested in using IEW. But I think if you did a progression like: (Year 1) Ancient History or American History; (Year 2) Medieval History; (Year 3) American History, Volume 2, it would work very well. There would be some repetition from book to book, but each book would (I think!) move progressively faster through new material and would require a little more of the students. And if you thought a lesson was too basic and clearly covered material your students had already mastered, you could just skip it or assign something else. Likewise, if you have a student who is still struggling with some of the basics, you can scale back on the requirements - just strike the more advanced dress-ups from the checklist, have them write two paragraphs rather than five, etc.

what would you use when you were done with the history based ones? Would you continue with IEW( if so, which product would you use) or something else completely?

My plan is to use the supplemental materials for my own convenience as long as they fit into our school plans, but when we run out or they don't fit or whatever, I definitely plan to stick with IEW. It might be a little less rigid if I see that the children are developing their own style, but I will still provide them with that IEW framework for organizing their writing. You don't really need an additional "product" to do this. They're a luxury, not a necessity :).

I really hope something here helped! I haven't had all my coffee yet, and I tend to ramble on early in the mornings :D.

SBP

Take what I say with a grain of salt. . .

I have not used any of the history lessons, though I plan to (I'll go into that in a minute)

I did ask this question on the IEW Yahoo group, and this is the way I understand it:

Ancient History and US Vol 1 both go slowly over the material. Medieval and US Vol 2 go quickly over the first couple of units (somewhat assuming you had done the previous volume, but knowing that some people will be starting at those points).

I think the later two periods (Renaissance and Modern) will follow the Medieval pattern.

Now, I do plan to use the lessons for the simple reason that for the life of me, it never occurs to me to say, "Oh, let's write a paper on this topic." (In fact, in all the years of our homeschooling, I don't think I've ever done such a thing.)

A failing of mine to be sure. And something I plan to correct!