Menu

X-Post: How you leave a *referral* (not a rep. point) for someone?

When you check out the Members List on the boards, there is a spot for Referrals. Some people have 1, possibly 2 referrals listed, and some don't.

I assume this feature has a function! I guess my assumption is that it's possible for members to leave a referral about other members. In my opinion, this would have a different function than a rep. point. I can leave a rep. point when someone has posted something particularly logical, helpful, or meaningful in some way. But, it would be nice to leave actual referrals for people. Is this a feature that we, as regular members, can use?

For example, some on these boards give consistently good advice on certain subjects such as literature, math, writing, science---whatever. So, wouldn't that be the spot to leave a referral for that person?

If not, what is this feature for? I did post this on the "How To" board but didn't get any answer!

I think it has to do with how many people joined the site because they were referred to it by the original member. In other words, referral 2 might mean that two people were referred to this site and became members due to another member linking them here. I had Googled this at some point but I have no idea all that works out technically speaking. Presumibly it has to do with emails and links or websites and links.

It just seemed to me that it might have something to do with building someone's reputation, only along a slightly different tangent. I just thought it was a place where you could write a referral for someone, such as "Myrtle is consistently excellent at giving sound math advice." (which you are!)

Anyway, your explanation makes sense, too!