Menu

Argh Math!!! (1stg)

bbrandonsmom

There are so many math threads. I started w/ Saxon 1, and not really liking it. Ds can do some of the mental math, likes drawing pics for the word problems, using counters (some times), but when it comes to the fact sheet-he'll look for the answer on a previous one. (ex 8+8, he'll just look on the sheet for one he did, instead of either counting out or doing mentally). There is a lot of review, and toward the end of bk2, they seem to cover money, time, weights and some different shape types.

Then I looked at Singapore (thanks neighbor :) ), and had to look more into that. I'm really liking it, and since I can pick up the books at the bookstore at a discount, I might just try it to see.

But then I had to go read the Saxon thread on how it builds such a great foundation in math! Argh!

So it got me wondering if a lot of the 1st g math curriculum are about the same, as far as a good 1st g level foundation, and as the levels go up is where you start to see the main differences in them?