Menu

S/O Dish vs Direct TV vs U-Verse vs Cable

We’re pretty fed up with Comcast, at least for cable TV. Their most recent series of “upgrades†went contrary to what they told us a couple of months ago… You see, my mom does not want a digital box hooked to her TV. My mom has had a TV with a remote control for at least 25 years and has yet to figure out how to do basic things with it. She still turns the TV on and off at the TV, most of the times she changes the channel using the buttons on the TV. Every time she goes to use my TV (with the cable box attached), I get told that there’s something wrong with the TV… because she changed channels on the TV instead of the cable box. Anyway, Comcast said that they weren’t going to require cable boxes for their basic cable service but that they were encouraging everyone to upgrade to their new Xfinity service. When it went into practice, everyone was automatically switched to Xfinity and now my mom only gets a handful of channels on her non-boxed TV... And now Comcast is talking about downgrading their basic services to "provide more options" for HDTVs.

My mom is talking about buying a new TV, thinking that will make her TV magically get the channels she wants (she only watches a handful of channels – the local networks, PBS, The Weather Channel, CLTV and sometimes one of the news channels – DS will occasionally watch Discovery, A&E, Animal Planet, The History Channel, etc. on her TV).

So, now I’m turning to y’all… Is there a cable/satellite/dish TV provider that does not require a cable box to be attached to the TV in order to get the “basic†level channels? Am I right in that if you buy a digital TV, you still have to hook up the cable box to it? What about a HDTV?

Any advice?

Thanks,

Sue