Menu

Would you start JAG in 4th or 5th grade?

thundersweet

Some start in 4th, others 5th. If you have used JAG and then gone into AG, what do you think the best course of action would be? Start in 4th with JAG, then ???? for 5th, then AG for 6th? Or maybe start JAG in 5th grade going into AG in 6th? I would really like to try this program but wonder if 4th grade is too soon even though it's for 4th-5th grade.

Thanks,

Sandy

I know.....can't wait. If I go with JAG for my 4th grader, I was planning on using the Jr Mechanics when it comes out after we finish JAG (same year). Do you not recommend the Jr Mechanics for late 4th grade?

Are you coming to the Southeast Homeschool Expo this year?

Thanks,

Sandy

I know.....can't wait. If I go with JAG for my 4th grader, I was planning on using the Jr Mechanics when it comes out after we finish JAG (same year). Do you not recommend the Jr Mechanics for late 4th grade?

Are you coming to the Southeast Homeschool Expo this year?

Thanks,

Sandy

I think you can do Jr. Mechanics as early as 4th grade as long as the student did well with Jr. AG. There are some kids who just aren't ready for it by 4th grade.

I'm afraid we won't be there this year, sorry!

blessings,

I'm still trying to decide whether to do general grammar for 4th and 5th (found some amazing resources online) and then do AG in 6th, 7th, and 8th, or do JAG and the JAG Mechanics in 4th and 5th, then AG after that. Is there a huge benefit to doing JAG and then AG over just doing AG?

I'm still trying to decide whether to do general grammar for 4th and 5th (found some amazing resources online) and then do AG in 6th, 7th, and 8th, or do JAG and the JAG Mechanics in 4th and 5th, then AG after that. Is there a huge benefit to doing JAG and then AG over just doing AG?

It would depend on the kid. I know of people who have just jumped into AG and done fine. It would throw my kids for a loop! Too overwhelming. The hardest unit for me was the first, because all you are finding are articles and nouns, with really complicated sentences. If they can get beyond that first unit I think they would be fine.

My kids just aren't the type that take a challenge (academically) head on. If it looks too hard they melt into piles of useless goo that I have to motivate and encourage to keep going. It is much easier to do JAG, for me, where they get the nice easy intro and then do AG when they already know they can do it.

Heather