Menu

Saxon Phonics vs. Horizons Phonics

I have been teaching Saxon Phonics K this year with 6yo ds. It has worked well with him. I am tempted to try Horizons 1 this year because I hear good things about it. I can't find much for samples, though. Anyone with experience with both have an opinion? He likes the colored worksheets. I know, not the best reason to look around. Thank you for your help.

I used this for dd when she was in K and 1st. We really enjoyed it. I also used FLL, for grades 1 and 2. I found there was a lot of overlap between these 2 programs when it came to the grammar aspects. It was nice, but after a bit became a bit much.

I need to look back, but I did not want to continue on with Horizons and switched over to Growing With Grammar.

I believe I still have the student readers and the tm. If you are in need of them to browse...lemme know. Just to clear them out they would be super cheap. If you decided to stick with it, all you would need is the student workbooks.

The readers are nice, but I also wanted more Biblical stories for dd to read. I do remember that being one reason for just going with a different program for grammar, and then supplementing with other readers.