Menu

Reading - what grade level

Snowfall

I've been asked three times this week about my DD's reading - as in, "What grade level is she reading at?" I have no idea. (And I think it's weird to have never been asked that before, then three times in a week!) I don't know what grade level she's reading at, but if you own or have used Phonics Pathways, what level do you think it is when a child completes page 105 confidently? After being asked, I'm curious where that would put her. I'm guessing it would be the middle of first grade or so. Do you think that's right? If you don't have the book, that would have her reading CVC words, CVCC words, CVCe words, -ng words, -nk words and all of the common "sight" words.

We haven't reached that point yet, but that's our summer goal. Technically, DD can already read CVCe words, CVCC words and many sight words, but she's not confident at all, so we just started all the way back at the beginning. That has really made her feel more confident, since it's just review. I think it's improving her attitude about reading. :)

My library puts stickers on the bindings of the books in their "easy reader" section that indicates the grade level by year and month (like 1.5 is first grade, fifth month, 2.8 is second grade, eighth month). If yours does something like that, you can look at the books she is able to read and tell people the grade level based on that.

In my opinion my K'ers could read CVC short vowels, that is more beginning readers. Then 1st gets to CVCC with long or short vowels. 2nd starts to learn vowel blends and (b)ai (t), (bel ) ie ( ve), ® ea ( d) (l) ight, (en) ough, slp (at), spl (ash), etc. We work on fluency mostly in 3rd. By the end of 3rd mine can read chapter books for 4-8 year olds, and many 9-12 year olds.

I go back and forth from easier to harder readers constantly, building fluency. Now all of my children have hit these stages at different ages. My son now is reading about a 2nd grade level, but he is my earliest reader. He is like a duck to water.

Edited by alatexan68