Menu

Begin Grammar in the middle of the year or wait until fall??

diaperjoys

We haven't done any grammar.(6.5yo, grade 1, strong reader) I'm interested in CLE LA. I'm uncertain if it would be best to plunge in mid-year, or get a clean start next year. If we waited until next year to begin, would we still need to start with 100? Is there something else that would fill out the year, but not leave us hanging when we break for the summer?

I suppose we could do some Explode the Code workbooks instead of CLE, but they aren't nearly as thorough...

I don't think a grammar "program" is necessary in first grade. I'd rather spend my time focusing on the 3 Rs at that age. However, when we do copywork, I point out certain things (capital letters, punctuation marks, simple parts of speech- a noun is a person, place or thing- can you circle the nouns in the sentence?, etc.) I will probably do Shurley or Growing with Grammar in 2nd grade.

I don't teach grammar until fourth or fifth grade. It's way to early to start with your kids. At this time, they don't have the processing power to learn grammar (although they might be able to memorize some facts without understanding them).

When your kids are ready -- no earlier than third grade, you can teach them grammar in 12 week chunks each year. No more than that is necessary because there's just not that much to learn. What there is to learn, however, is complex and cannot be grasped by the majority of first, second and third graders, leave alone a kindergartner.

With ds, I didn't do a formal grammar program until this year in fifth grade. He completed JAG in 12 weeks and never had the slightest bit of trouble even with the most advanced concepts. He was ready, and I hadn't poisoned him against grammar by making him do it before he was ready. Now, in the middle of the school year, ds has the same advanced grasp of grammar as any fifth or six grader who had been cramming this stuff all these years.

I recommend that you leave grammar alone for a few years. It's much too early for your little ones.

Edited by tdeveson