Menu

For those of you who let their children watch tv...

Leila

Once lessons and chores are complete, ds can watch tv or sit at the computer. He has his own desktop in his room. I generally allow about two hours of computer time on week nights. He's allowed to play during the day on weekends, but I require that he come up for air every hour or so and do some strenuous physical activity, like a few laps in the pool, a run with his dogs, or just help me in the garden. He also has scheduled play dates on weekends and they're usually computer-free.

He's playing games online with friends, but about half or 3/4 of the time he's programming game maps (virtual reality scenarios) that he can share with his friends. In other words, he creates a virtual world and plays on it. His father teaches him programming and programming principles concurrently and I consider that combination a learning time. It goes in his portfolio.

One day he came up to me after having spent a weekend working on an incredibly complex world that he was rightfully very proud of, and said sadly, "Too bad you can't get paid for developing video games." (!!!)

I explained that video game developers not only have to learn how to create worlds, but must be conversant in the Classics, world literature and mythology, and of course, they must write well, but once those are mastered, he can make huge money. He was thrilled that there is a possible career for him developing vieo games with the added bonus that he's paying much more attention to his literature and study of the Classics and has been using them in his world building.

As for TV, we watch very little of it -- mostly the SciFy channel (I hate their new name), the History Channel, and educational programming. None of us are fans of fluff tv, so it's not an issue.

Edited by tdeveson