Menu

R&S Spelling or Spelling Workout?

Quiver0f10

Well, you know I'm going to say R&S. I did use SWO when I first started homeschooling. It was a typical workbook approach, but I preferred the systematic approach to spelling that R&S had laid out in their scope and sequence.

I keep my boys on grade level with R&S spelling. The spelling words are not necessarily challenging to them (they have a natural spelling tendency), but I think the continued exercises in phonics, building words, and dictionary skills are valuable. In addition, the spelling program complements the grammar program, so the similiar skills and/or ideas are being covered by both subjects.

I also like the teacher manuals by R&S. Of course, I'm grading for 3 different boys throughout the day, so the TM is very necessary to keep up. For 3rd grade, you could probably get by without it. However, in the higher grades the test sentences include sentences for dictation. I also like the teacher notes too. The notes give guidance on how to properly say a word verses how a word is usually mispronounced. I don't teach the spelling lesson every week, but sometimes it does provide spelling help on words that are generally misspelled.

The 7th & 8th grade R&S spelling books move to more of a vocabulary program focusing on Latin and Greek roots. I think this is important preparation for high school, so I don't want to get there too early.

Just to let you know, in 6th grade the R&S spelling program moves from a workbook format to a textbook format. My 6th grader does his work in his spelling notebook. Since the book is no longer consumable, I don't have to purchase a separate book for each boy.

HTH!