Menu

Question about WWE and narration

PCA

My almost 8 year old is on lesson 11 of WWE 1. I find that she really struggles with the narration pages.

Is there a wrong way to do this?

Whenever we do the pages for narration, I read her the passage and then she does the corresponding sheet that says "what do you remember from this passage". Every time, she writes whatever the first sentence I read was. Should I be prompting her to not do this? Isn't the point to pick out the most important part of the passage and write that?

Thanks!

My almost 8 year old is on lesson 11 of WWE 1. I find that she really struggles with the narration pages.

Whenever we do the pages for narration, I read her the passage and then she does the corresponding sheet that says "what do you remember from this passage". Every time, she writes whatever the first sentence I read was. Should I be prompting her to not do this? Isn't the point to pick out the most important part of the passage and write that?

Thanks!

It would be nice, but no they don't have to pick the most important. The reasons for the order of the questions is to sort of build to the end and hopefully pick a sentence that incorporates more of an overall feel, but my children are known to pick that which would be the shortest sentence they can think of.

BWT with WWE 1 they really should be copying, so they tell you what is the one thing they remember, you write it out and they copy what you wrote. They don't start writing from memory till level 4. The point is to develop the skills of writing and thinking separately as they are both new skills.

Level 2 will ask the same sort of questions, but then will have three additional questions that will focus on the most important parts of the passage. My dd still didn't want to summarize properly, but with reminders that she needs to include those three answers she is doing better.

Heather

Thanks!

I haven't seen the workbooks, but the hardback WWE directs you to ask comprehension questions *before* asking for what the child remembers from the passage. This gives a child a chance to process what's in the passage before composing a sentence to narrate.

but my children are known to pick that which would be the shortest sentence they can think of.

:lol: This is my dd too! She says a sentence aloud, and then repeatedly shortens it. It is sort of funny given her great love of talking. Yesterday she tried to get her sentence shorter, couldn't, and ultimately dictated, "It was a lovely passage". Ha! I think not.

To the OP, I encourage my dd to come up with something meaningful about the passage and I don't let her use a sentence exactly as the original author wrote it.