Menu

Handwriting troubles w/ 1st grade boy...

diaperjoys

May I please have some suggestions from you more experienced homeschoolers?

My son is having a very difficult time slanting his letters consistently. Part of it is my fault - I started out with modern manuscript font, but then let him use ETC workbooks, which show everything with no slant.

I just bought the Evan Moore Daily Handwriting practice (modern manuscript) so he could practice just a little each day, and it is like pulling teeth. Slant is very, very difficult for him, and frankly, I really don't care what font he uses just so long as it is neat.

He actually can write pretty neatly (when required to), but when he's doing well at being neat the letters are not slanted. He does have some trouble with correct formation of b's and d's in particular; he does the letter in one long line with no retracing.

So I think I need to make another curriculum change, but I don't know what to switch to. I don't want to fight a battle over slant, so I'd rather just ditch the Evan Moore book here and now. But what to switch to?? Traditional printing is a completely different style of letter formation, so it seems like that would be confusing for him. I keep looking at Handwriting Without Tears, but that has the wonky lines, which seems like they would present another set of difficulties.

So what would you do?

My son who is now in 5th was taugh modern manuscript in PS K and then they switched him to regular manuscript when we moved to VA and he went to PS 1st.

He never slanted his letters and after looking at my own writing which is a mix of cursive and manuscript I have almost no slant. I was taught to slant in PS but it didn't stick. I don't think slant is that important so for me that wasn't the hill I was willing to die on so we switched to handwriting without tears. This eliminated the need for slant and my son who's done the cursive book (grade 3) now has legible handwriting. It's not great but it's getting there and as for the "Wonky" paper with only 2 lines. That's what actually helped my kids understand how the size relationship between lower case and upper case letters. They have no trouble with using regular wide lined paper or traditional 3 line paper at all. Since using the HWOT 2 line paper they just seem to get it no matter what paper they use.

HTH