Menu

WWE & CW

J'etudie

I love WWE; we did WWE 1 loosely last year and are doing the workbook for WWE 2 this year. I love CW; I have Aesop and am reading it all right now. But I can't decide how I will manage the two at the 3rd/4th grade overlap. I've had a few ideas and would love to hear opinions and/or new ideas!

1. In 3rd grade do Aesop A and 1/2 (every other week) of WWE 3. Then in 4th do Aesop B and 1/2 of WWE 4. I think this option tries to get the most out of both programs.

2. In 3rd do WWE 3. In 4th do Aesop A&B, skipping WWE 4. This feels less chaotic in my mind but misses out on WWE 4.

3. In 3rd leave WWE entirely in favor of CW. Do Aesop A A&I one week and the Writing Project the next week. Do the same with Aesop B in 4th grade. This helps my sanity by cutting the intense CW time in half but misses out WWE 3 and 4.

Yes, I think too far ahead, but planning is the only thing that keeps me calm when I consider tackling a classical education with 4 kids. :D

Thoughts?

I love WWE; we did WWE 1 loosely last year and are doing the workbook for WWE 2 this year. I love CW; I have Aesop and am reading it all right now. But I can't decide how I will manage the two at the 3rd/4th grade overlap. I've had a few ideas and would love to hear opinions and/or new ideas!

1. In 3rd grade do Aesop A and 1/2 (every other week) of WWE 3. Then in 4th do Aesop B and 1/2 of WWE 4. I think this option tries to get the most out of both programs.

2. In 3rd do WWE 3. In 4th do Aesop A&B, skipping WWE 4. This feels less chaotic in my mind but misses out on WWE 4.

3. In 3rd leave WWE entirely in favor of CW. Do Aesop A A&I one week and the Writing Project the next week. Do the same with Aesop B in 4th grade. This helps my sanity by cutting the intense CW time in half but misses out WWE 3 and 4.

Yes, I think too far ahead, but planning is the only thing that keeps me calm when I consider tackling a classical education with 4 kids. :D

Thoughts?

I'm behind where you are. I plan on using WWE 2 for my third grade year. Then I plan on using CW Aesop for 4th. I'm not planning anything in stone yet, that is what I am planning now but depending on how it goes this year will determine next year. I wish I knew for sure which way to go but I don't yet. We'll just have to see how my dd responds to WWE.

Sorry I'm not any more help!

I'm behind where you are. I plan on using WWE 2 for my third grade year. Then I plan on using CW Aesop for 4th. I'm not planning anything in stone yet, that is what I am planning now but depending on how it goes this year will determine next year. I wish I knew for sure which way to go but I don't yet. We'll just have to see how my dd responds to WWE.

Sorry I'm not any more help!

Actually, it is helpful to be reminded that I should take a "see how it goes" approach. I'm just so bad at that! :lol:

Thanks for the reply.

Thoughts?

Personally I find Aesop to be really easy to do on schedule, so I would throw out option 3. I would do option 2. Option 1 just looks a little messy and you have the child doing the writing step in 4 before you even finish level 3.

In Homer a child does need to be able to summarize. They summarize the scenes and in Poetry they summarize Stanzas. If I remember right in WWE 4 you are not really doing anything new, you are just bringing it together and putting it on paper. Of all the steps I think that one can be skipped. Instead you are going to CW and having them write down CM style narrations. You can continue to have the orally summarize the story on day 1 if you like (they encourage this in Homer, but I can't remember if they do in Aesop). I think you would probably do fine skipping WWE 4.

Heather (fellow planner)

Personally I find Aesop to be really easy to do on schedule, so I would throw out option 3. I would do option 2. Option 1 just looks a little messy and you have the child doing the writing step in 4 before you even finish level 3.

I agree about messy option 1. If I remember from other posts, you did Aesop A&B in one year (option 2), right?

In Homer a child does need to be able to summarize. They summarize the scenes and in Poetry they summarize Stanzas. If I remember right in WWE 4 you are not really doing anything new, you are just bringing it together and putting it on paper. Of all the steps I think that one can be skipped. Instead you are going to CW and having them write down CM style narrations. You can continue to have the orally summarize the story on day 1 if you like (they encourage this in Homer, but I can't remember if they do in Aesop). I think you would probably do fine skipping WWE 4.

WWE 4 does seem like more of WWE 3, just longer and more in depth. I suppose I could lengthen passages and dictations in WWE 3 if it seemed necessary.

Heather (fellow planner)

I've learned a lot from your posts. I seem to be following in many of your footsteps, actually. I was hoping I'd get some input from you!

Many thanks!

I agree about messy option 1. If I remember from other posts, you did Aesop A&B in one year (option 2), right?

Close to it. I actually took a break in between A & B to do JAG because...well I didn't have a foundation in grammar that we really needed. That's why my oldest started Homer A in Jan and not in the fall.

WWE 4 does seem like more of WWE 3, just longer and more in depth. I suppose I could lengthen passages and dictations in WWE 3 if it seemed necessary.

Remember there is also dictation in CW, so you can just move from WWE, to doing longer passages in CW.

I've learned a lot from your posts. I seem to be following in many of your footsteps, actually. I was hoping I'd get some input from you!

Many thanks!

I am glad to help, and I still have those who have gone ahead of me that I go to for help, thus the knowledge continues to get passed on one person to the next...kinda cool!

Actually this has helped me to finally see something that had been bugging me, but I hadn't put my finger on. My 2nd dd is going into 4th grade, and has done beautiful dictation since 1st grade, but has struggled with summarizing. I already have WWE 2 for her, but I was still planning to start AAS for her as she does better with CM type narration. Now I am going to look at doing WWE 2 on a shortened schedule (maybe cutting some dictation, give that is a strong point for her). Then move into WWE 3.

You can do both WWE and CW if your child does fine with CM type narration, and can handle the work load, but I really have 2 years of WWE to do and 1 year of CW...till she needs summarizing skills in Homer. That just doesn't gel. :blink:

Heather

Remember there is also dictation in CW, so you can just move from WWE, to doing longer passages in CW.

Excellent point.

I am glad to help, and I still have those who have gone ahead of me that I go to for help, thus the knowledge continues to get passed on one person to the next...kinda cool!

Yes, it is!

You can do both WWE and CW if your child does fine with CM type narration, and can handle the work load

I think that would kill one, if not both, of us. :D I do like rounding out a history or science reading with a short CM-style narration, but it would be very informal.

One more question: Did you find the Aesop time suggestions to be accurate for you, 1/2 hour for A&I and 1/2 hour for the Writing Project?

Thanks again!