Menu

How to Teach Spelling...How to Spell books

Dawn E

If you have used this program, could you tell me more about how the workbooks are set up? I have the teacher's guide, and I'm just wondering if the workbooks are a good investment. The samples at cbd don't really tell me much about the format of the workbook lessons.

Thanks!

Well the program is doable without the workbooks, but they make it much easier. If you use the manual only, you end up skipping around and trying to figure out which lessons to do for which age, etc. If you have the workbook, you can follow it and it tells you when to do dictation from the TM. It's much easier to let the workbooks guide you.

That said, the workbooks are pretty plain, but get the job done. I just happen to have some samples that I re-typed for my dd. This is from book 3.

You may spell the sound /j/ either ge or dge.

Use dge at the end of a word or syllable directly after a single short vowel

Use ge after a consonant or after two vowels or a long vowel -- like page.

Fill in the blanks with either ge or dge.

ra__ ba___

a___ ca___

dre___ we___

ver___ ple___

gou___ gor___

ju___ do____

spon___ mer____

knowle___ cartri___

frin___ hu___

bar___ lar____

nu___ tru___

ga___ porri____

he___ le___

gru___ ur___

chan___ ri___

arran___ partri___

hin___ sta___

smu___ ran____

lo___ fu____

stran___ for____

The formatting didn't really work right. You'll have to imagine each of the words separated a little. The formatting in the workbook is only slightly better than my example.

I really liked HTTS. It is a thrifty version of AAS in my opinion. You just have to spend some time making out flashcards for the rules and such.

HTH

After spending hours looking at the All About Spelling Program I decided it wasn't going to be a fit for us. My dd just needs to go back and review all the rules - these workbooks look like it will do the trick. I would recommend these as a cheaper alternative to AAS especially if you are not in need of the tactile approach that makes up much of the AAS program.

HTH :001_smile: