Menu

Latin Quandry

This is our second year homeschooling our 10th grade DS. We started late but still want to incorporate some aspects of classical education like Latin. I've started researching online latin courses and i'm wondering if i'm in over my head. I'd appreciate any comments regarding the difference between various curricula (including what's preferred or recommended for a 10th grade beginner, what is considered a more comprehensive program, which offers part to whole teaching etc.) e.g. Helene, Wheelock, Cambridge, Latina Christiana, Latin Alive.

I'd also like suggestions for schools that offer online Latin classes including summer 2009 offerings.

Thanx in advance!

My dd takes Latin through Lukeion.org, and they use Wheelock's for the first two years of Latin. It is a classical Latin program (versus Ecclesiastical) and will prepare her to read original works in Latin. The online class is high school level and assumes no Latin background, but it does help to have some grammar prior to starting. It moves at a pretty good clip and my daughter spends about 8 hours a week on Latin outside of class. She loves it.

If you have questions about that particular class or Wheelock's, you could always email her teacher, Amy Barr, through Lukeion.org. And I'm sure you'll get lots of great responses here from people who have used various texts.

HTH!

Edit: Just thought of something else - a friend's son takes Latin through Potter's School, and I believe he loves that, too. Maybe his mom will chime in here!