Menu

Classical Methods While in Traditional School?

Hi, our situation is about to undergo a huge change, and I could use some guidance/advice/perspective...

I've homeschooled for 4 years, but this fall my kids will start at a local b&m school (traditional, small Catholic school, 2nd and 3rd grade). We follow a classical model, and when hubby retires from the military, we are choosing our retirement location based on the location of a few well-regarded classical model schools. Until then, I want to maintain our use of the model, so they will be well prepared for 6th grade and up, dialectic and rhetorical level work. Any recommendations on how to do this without overloading them with extra work outside of school? Next year's school is traditional, and has a reputation as academically sound and even challenging, preparing K-8 students well for the top high schools in the area. I plan to continue our chronological historical read alouds, nature study outings and a Brave Writer-esque language arts focus. What am I missing? What guidance (books, websites, etc.) can I access to help me do this organically? I've always wanted a classical home environment, so this is more about our family culture than simply keeping up with school work. Ideas?

Everything is such a work in progress. My kids are ages 4 and 6 and the 6 year old is in her 4th year of "part time" school (started Montessori, now is Montessori + Public, next year is Public only). Just a few observations:

* Bravewriter is great but I can't handle the full lifestyle with the kids in school. I have been doing a freewrite a week plus a project per season.... summer we did snip & pin, fall we did keen observation, we are now in the project from partnership writing where you create an imaginary map/world. A project a month was just not happening for us, one per season is more workable.

* Check out the homework and see if there are ways for you to do some combination. e.g., for lower grades at my daughter's school kids have to read a certain number of minutes a day, or be read to by someone else. I make sure it's quality reading that often fits into their other projects (e.g., 6 yo is reading Narnia now and that goes along with the imaginary world/map thing). Life of Fred is also good for read alouds.

* Audiobooks are awesome! The Great Courses and Story of the World 1 and 2 are favorites for us.

* We walk to school whenever possible... I research the books she is reading, then use that time to talk about the themes, etc. a la Deconstructing Penguins. This is probably also doable at the dinner table but truthfully I haven't gotten past the "mom walks back and forth getting everyone more milk all dinner" stage.

Just imo, I would hold off even on the Bravewriter for a few weeks, or even half a year. The quality reading, audiobooks, and conversations are easier to get in under the radar. Maybe there are some bravewriter elements -- like the teas and  movies -- that would not cause rebellions though.

I do full curricula, All About Spelling, Saxon Math, Shurley english, etc. but it took a long time to normalize that. 

Edited by tm919