Menu

New here!

I am new to this board and to afterschooling. We homeschooled full-time for the past 4 years.

This monday, our 3 kids will be starting public school (dd in grade 5/6, ds grade 4, dd in JK). They were all extremely curious about it, and after visiting the school, we all decided that they should give it a try. I am quite nervous about it of course, hoping that it is a smooth transition. I also want to keep on being a part of their education, so if anyone has advice on how to fit it all together, that would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Alex in Canada.

Welcome! It's quite a scheduling feat to fit it all together here. We "before"school every morning for an hour or so, then I spend time in my 1st and 2nd graders' classrooms 4 mornings a week (my 10th grader doesn't want me there - go figure!).

After school they do their homework (from school) and we're usually off to soccer practice, Taekwondo, or Scouts. We do history and writing at bedtime, which the kids love.

When they were home, we had plenty of time for the extracurriculars but going to school, the schedule gets insane at times. I don't mind the running around so very much, but my dh gets very unsettled by it. The kids do OK because we stay on routine, but some days are long. Good news is that soccer is seasonal.

But the short of it is that I'm very rigidly scheduled, even during the day when they're at school. How else to get it all done?

Hi, Alex, and welcome!

I homeschooled for 16 years and put my younger four boys in public school in early spring last year. This year will be their first full year of ps; they are grades 11, 9, 7, and 6.

I've found it best to talk to each child daily about their classes each day. With the younger boys I ask them to show me what they did in school and I make sure they understand. I keep abreast of when writing assignments are due, and have the boys complete their work according to my requirements (ie, outline, rough draft, editing, final draft) rather than just leaving them to somehow get a paper written by the assigned date. If quizzes or tests are coming up, I try to talk to the boys and ask questions to make sure they know their material.

I hope that helps!

Ria

I really didn't know what to expect, but the first week went really well for all 3 kids. We did a little bit of math, art, and lots of reading at home...still trying to figure out what schedule will work well, either before or after school. While the days are still nice outside, I prefer that they go and play after school. Winter will come fast enough lol!

My only complaint so far is the amount of paperwork and forms that comes back home with them for me!

Alex in Canada