Menu

Samm

I'm a bit confused--are the kids learning to put on a radio show with the help of college students in the radio program? 

Are they writing and editing the show on the college's equipment?

One of the first things that DJ's do is get a paper with all the songs that will be played during their shift, the lengths of commercial breaks & station imaging, so they can write their script and song lead ups around those.

A working station visit is interesting...you may be peaking through windows to see the DJ's in the sound proof studio's.  I'd definitely go if someone is willing to answer the kids questions.

Edited by Chalex
  • Like 1

Ugh!!  How incredibly frustrating!!  I wanted to blow my top a few times just reading this!

If there any way you can send out an email that says something like "My kids and I are going on a tour of the radio station on x day at x time.  You are more than welcome to join us; please meet at such and such time or you will be left out."  And then maybe go into a completely passive-agressive  lecture about setting a good example in leadership for the kids, nurturing their enthusiasm, giving them the tools they need to succeed...

I would totally break away and make sure YOUR kids have what they need.

I have no other opinions because I know nothing about radio other than the fact that my local 24/7 christmas station starts October 1.

Oh my, you and the kids HAVE to meet with your sponsor/DJ friend! (same person, right?)

The Sponsor definitely has to be more of a leader if he's responsible for your group, your tour and producing your show.

That's an awesome opportunity you've got there!

I would think for a first time show, the kids might be designated jobs like hosts, music director, news, weather, advertising, station identification (maybe all funny and creative).  Just to get the kids aware of what all is involved with running a radio station and maybe an eyeopener about what all is taped (voice tracked) ahead of time.

With 20 kids, you could break the hour in half so everyone has a job.

Good luck.  I'm sure you'll feel better about things once you do your tour and meeting with the Sponsor :)

• Like 1