Menu

Spelling Workout Alternative?

MrsWeasley

We just started Spelling Workout this year, and it's been kind of a flop. I put my 7 year old, who isn't a very good speller, in Level C. It's been very easy for her, and I've generally been combining several weeks list in order to have a list of five words for her to learn each week. However, doing this seems to really DE-emphasize the phonics rules. My daughter taught herself to read very young and her knowledge of phonics rules suffered from it. I really want an inexpensive program that will let me teach phonics through spelling...and I preferably not too time intensive, since spelling is not a super high priority for me. Any recommendations?

SWO will do that for you. Easy is not bad. Celebrate that she is such a great speller. 

Rod and Staff is also very good but religious. Some lists are nothing but Books of the Bible.

BJU Spelling 2nd edition is pricey but good.

We just started Spelling Workout this year, and it's been kind of a flop. I put my 7 year old, who isn't a very good speller, in Level C. It's been very easy for her, and I've generally been combining several weeks list in order to have a list of five words for her to learn each week. However, doing this seems to really DE-emphasize the phonics rules. My daughter taught herself to read very young and her knowledge of phonics rules suffered from it. I really want an inexpensive program that will let me teach phonics through spelling...and I preferably not too time intensive, since spelling is not a super high priority for me. Any recommendations?

We are using Reading Lessons through Literature as a phonics-through-spelling program with my 7 & 8yos and love it.  It does not take much time from me, only reviewing phonograms and dictating spelling words.  FYI, the "levels" aren't grade levels.  We started at level 1 since my girls hadn't learned their phonograms yet.  I would recommend the same for your DD. :)  Hope this helps!