Menu

A book club for young Chinese readers?

DS (11) and DD (9) both read and write Chinese, but now we have left China and live in an area where there are very few Asians, let alone Chinese children, so they are not keeping up with their language skills. The only Chinese interaction they get is with an on-line tutor.

I've read on this board of other families with Chinese readers about the same age as my children and thought it would be nice for the kids to get together and read a book together--kind of like a book club. They can discuss it by email or Skype, which would help their Chinese writing and speaking. My children always prefer to interact with other children, given a choice.

Right now they read a book with their tutor; she sends them page scans and they read out loud to her. Before we left China, we bought A LOT of children's books, which my kids love to read, but they would love discussing what they read with someone else even more.

DS is in 6th grade and DD in 4th grade. I can't speak to how many characters they know, but it is mostly sufficient for children's chapter books. DD can't read ALL the characters, but it doesn't take away from her understanding or enjoyment of the books.

Anyone?