Menu

Please help - anyone in or around Charleston, SC?

Dh is talking with a company in Daniel Island, SC and we are really in need of info on the area from a local's perspective. We currently live in WI and have a 7 yr old. We are secular homeschoolers and have lived here for 4 years and found the area to not be too welcoming to transplants.

If anyone is familiar with the Charleston area, we'd love info on neighborhoods within a 30 min drive from Daniel Island and any info on the hs climate and friendliess of locals & family-friendly activities.

Thank you!!

Amy

Hi Amy!

I'm in Summerville, SC which is about 30 minutes from Charleston. Probably about 30 minutes to Daniel Island as well depending on traffic.

I've found the area to have a fantastic homeschool community. There are a number of homeschool support groups/co-ops in the area. We've been a part of http://www.teach-hs.org for 2 years and love it.

Lots of things to do around here...the beach, aquarium, a childrens museum, regular museum, great libraries, tons of history, etc.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer, we were actually looking at Summerville, but haven't found a realtor who knows that area. I'm glad to know there are some homeschool resources available as the SC homeschool law was somewhat confusing when I read it. Thanks so much for the reply!

In reading it the law does sound confusing. I must have read it a hundred times when we first started. Don't let it scare you away though, it really isn't hard.

It breaks down to 3 options.

1. Go through the local school district - I have yet to meet anyone who has gone this route.

2. Go through the SCAIHS - They offer a lot of services, but are expensive and require testing starting at 3rd grade. They also have to approve your curriculum and require a lot of paperwork.

3. Go through a "third option" homeschool association. http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com has a lot of info on there website about third option homeschooling. There are a number of associations to choose from and their requirements depend on the particular association. The one I belong to requires miminal reporting and does not require testing. Most run about $50/year I've found...some more, some less.

Summerville is a nice town. It has a lot of history, but a lot of newer areas/neighborhoods as well.